Happy New Year!

I promise to make a Christmas post! I will, I will!

Tonight I couldn't resist actually being on time for a post for once!!! Does your family have a New Year tradition? For the last few years I have hosted a little New Year lunch at our house. Nothing fancy, just down home cooking. My dad and my Papa come over for lunch which always includes black-eyed peas and turnip greens. The rest of the menu varies, but we ALWAYS have the black-eyes and greens. This year was no different...the menu included: baked ham, black-eyed peas, turnip greens, home made mac-and-cheese, fried corn bread and last, but not least a made-from-scratch chocolate cake. I really do feel like I spent most of the day in the kitchen which I enjoy, for the most part. Today, however our lunch turned into supper. I didn't get the ham in the oven in time for it to be ready by lunch, so I decided to wait 'till supper to cook. I don't think I will do that again. I do enjoy having my afternoons to relax. As it happened, I finished cleaning the kitchen at 9:21pm! I really did have a good day at home with Oki, Max and his friend, Clay. Eli spent the night with a friend and was gone until the late afternoon.

Anyway, Eli has been begging me to make "one of those chocolate cakes with the little layers." Do any of you know what he's talking about? Well, if you don't...he's talking about a cake like Mrs. Dean's!


Being the good mother that I am I decided to bake my boy a cake!!! If you know me well, you know that I love to cook. I'm not too bad at it, if I do say so myself...Another thing about me is that I do not like to use mixes. I really prefer baking from scratch. So, this morning soon after breakfast, I began scouring my cook books and the internet for a recipe for an old fashioned seven layer cake...I looked high, I looked low, but none was to be found. I found a nine layer, a twenty-0ne layer, a four layer, a fourteen layer, but no seven!!!! With the knowledge that there are no seven layer cake recipes to be found, I set about creating my own!!! I was so proud of myself while mixing and figuring. I thought, "I'll write all of this down and post the recipe on my blog tonight." Well, needless to say, the cake didn't turn out quite as I planned. Oh, it did taste ok...maybe a little dry...but it looked ever so pitiful!!!! I am not the cook I thought I was. So, I'm showing you this cake so that you can laugh the way I have laughed at myself tonight...

Is that not the most pitiful thing you've ever seen? I ended up doing only four layers and I'm not sure what happened to the icing! I'm guessing that I didn't let it boil long enough. When I was putting the icing on, it kept dripping and dripping. It filled up the cake plate and I was forced to pour some of it into a bowl!!! When we cut the cake, I just dipped the icing out of the bowl and onto our cake...it was tasty! When Wayne saw it, he said, "Nice Moat!" At least he's honest! ;-)

Anyway, today was a good start to the year 2010. I hope your year is blessed with God's grace and mercy. My hope and prayer is that I will draw closer to the Lord and bring Him glory in all things.

P.S. If you have a recipe you'd like to share with me...I would appreciate it!!! I learned today (through a cake) that I don't know everything!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Potato Dumplings

Favorite Banana Pudding

Ranch Potato Salad