Happy Mother's Day

I know it's two days late, but I really wanted to do a Mother's Day post. I hope you all had a great day. Wayne really, really spoiled me this year. I received a present Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! How's that for spoiling?

Sunday we had a nice lunch. Wayne's mom, Martha, and his brother, Matt, came to our house for lunch. Martha and I each cooked a part of the meal so that neither of us had the whole burden. All in all, it was great! I even had time after lunch for a nice nap!

The real reason that I wanted to write this post is to honor my mother, Oki Carnley. Some of you may know that she died in 1983 at the young age of 39. Even after almost 25 years without her I still miss her soooooo... much. I miss her a lot especially when I see my friends with their mothers. Many days I wonder why and what if...My sisters, dad and I have often talked about this. What good was there in her early death? The questions go unanswered, but one thing that I am sure of is that God is sovereign and He knows/knew exactly what He was doing. My sisters and I were blessed with a great dad that took care of 3 girls ages 16, 14 and 8. He could blow dry my hair under like a pro! As I look back over the years, it is clear that God has been a protector and provider for me. For as long as I can remember He has placed wonderful women in my path...no, they never replaced my mother, but each one has been a blessing to me.

I thought I'd include some pictures of my mother.


Her passport picture...with my sister, Gail


I think I look like her in this one!








This is one of a few that I have of us together. I was probably about 6 years old.







A few years ago, I was in a revival where the guest worship leader gave his testimony. He spoke of losing his wife and sang the song It Is Well With My Soul. That night I realized that it is truly well with my soul. This was confirmed when I heard brother Garry's message Sunday morning. He spoke on that very subject and we sang that song! I am so thankful that I serve a mighty, compassionate, amazing God that gave me a wonderful Christian mother that I can remember fondly. Memories like the way she had difficulty pronouncing the word "satchel" as in book satchel and lettuce and soy sauce for an afternoon snack. Mother had quite a temper...she would spank us with whatever was handy...a flip flop, fly flap...One time she even tied my sisters' hands together and made them sit on the bed because they had been arguing! I distinctly remember laughing at them! My sisters have so many more memories of her, but until the day that I see her in Heaven, I'll keep thinking on the many things I do remember about her.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Sarah Armstrong said…
What a sweet post. Thanks for being transparent - I would imagine it's still very tough. I enjoy reading your blog! :)
Wendy said…
Wow! What a beautiful post. You do look so much like your mother!!
Oki looks like the both of you!!
Mother's Day is always so sureal yet what warm feelings I have and hold dearly to!
Mother always told me on our Sunday morning chats to "make a joyful noise" when I went to church and I tried but I actually took a leap and joined the choir. She would get a giggle becasue they put me in the Tenor section! lol..
Give my best to your family Sam. I think of you guys often!
Ashley said…
That is a sweet post! I enjoyed reading it too. Thanks for the invite to Ino. I've heard it's WONDERFUL, but it's a little farther drive than I really want to make. We visited Hillcrest on Sunday, and we enjoyed it. We'll see...

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Potato Dumplings

Favorite Banana Pudding

Ranch Potato Salad