Something to Ponder

The other night, I stumbled across a blog written by a complete stranger to me --- someone on the other side of the United States. An old post written by the blogger caught my attention. It was a topic of great importance and relevancy to me. What was the topic? Was it adoption? No. How about global warming? No. The Presidential election? Definitely not! It was about babysitters and their going rate.

Now, I have friends who are blessed with parents or in laws that keep their children on a regular basis. You may have this wonderful luxury too, but we do not. Sometimes my mother-in-law or my sisters help out and we do on occasion pay my niece who is 19 to babysit. But I never know how much to pay her---my niece that is.

So, here goes my friends....I'd like to hear from you, from our side of the world...What do you pay your sitter?

Does the rate vary with the circumstances? I've listed some things to consider...


  1. How many children are involved...
  2. The age/experience of the sitter...
  3. The age of child/children...
  4. Time of day...
  5. Length of time...

Do these variables really matter? Now do you see why this is so very important? This is complicated! That's why I've asked for your input.

Thanks for reading...I look forward to hearing from you!

Here's a recent picture of Kayla and Oki for your enjoyment ;-)



The Babysitter---A.K.A. Our Niece, Kayla


Comments

Anonymous said…
It is a very complicated issue. I used to get paid $5/hour (or about minimum wage) regardless of any other circumstances.
Kristen said…
Well, its been quite a while since I actually babysat, since I have a crew of my own now...but I would get around $10/hr. then...atleast 10 years ago. I was experienced an older, but seems like I almost always got paid that much, maybe even a little more if friends were over. I'm not helping your budget am I?

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Potato Dumplings

Favorite Banana Pudding

Ranch Potato Salad