A Wonderful Day

Wayne and I have had a wonderful day!!! I am super worn out from walking, walking, walking eating way too much! We both enjoy history, so Natchez is right up our alley. We began our day at the Natchez City Cemetery. I know I'm not well traveled, but I have never in my life seen such a large cemetery. The tombstones, gravemarkers and mausoleums were amazing. It's neat to think about all the lives that are represented by each marker. It is also very humbling to know that really all that will be left of us in a few years is a marker. I was so saddened to see all of the children's graves. As I walked around looking, I mourned for their mothers. I can only imagine their heartbreak. The view below is from one of the Jewish sections of the cememetary.

The next photo was taken on bluff in the cemetery overlooking the Mississippi River.



Our next stop was St. Mary's Bascillica in downtown Natchez. I've never been inside a Catholic Church before. This building was beautiful!!!

Our first home tour of the day was Stanton Hall. This house was amazing! I am so glad we went. Our tour guide was a true Southern Belle with the cutest accent. I'm sure she was at least 75 years old, but she did a great job! She told us that every screw and piece of metal hardware used in the house was silver!!! Can you imagine??? This home cost (I think I'm remembering correctly) something like $84,000 to build way back when...It was so well preserved and in great condition.
The next home we toured was Rosalie. This home was also beautiful. It was used by the Union soldiers during the Civil War. According to our guide, the troops occupied one side of the home and the family the other. Talk about a house divided!
While visiting Rosalie, I got to play the piano. Let me say that I have taken a total of 3 years of piano lessons, but I can only pick out the right hand. I got to play for our little tour group because no one else in our group could play! Can you tell how much fun I had wow-ing everyone with a little "Heart and Soul"? Thank you to my good friend, Haiden for practicing with me all those times on the OHS stage!!


This is us on the second story veranda at Rosalie. Note the Mississippi River in the background.
The grounds were beautiful! Wayne and I had fun setting the timer on my camera and running to get in the picture. Since this was our anniversary trip, I couldn't resist making him pose with me for the next picture!

This evening we ate at a super restaurant called Breaud's. I would HIGHLY reccommend you try it if you are every in Natchez! I had the best ribs ever and the cole slaw was yummy, too!


Afterward, we went to the river to collect some water for Eli. For some reason, my sweet boy said he wanted us to bring him a bottle of Mississippi river water. These pictures were taken on the boat ramp in the area called "Under the Hill."



Look at this sweet daddy, risking wet feet to collect his boy some river water!


I love this next picture. What a wonderful way to end our getaway...an evening photo on the banks of the Mississippi. It was breathtakingly beautiful this afternoon!


Comments

Glad ya'll had a good time. I LOVE old cemeteries.....they are hauntingly beautiful, sooo peaceful! The older the better ;O)

Loved the pictures!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Potato Dumplings

Favorite Banana Pudding

Ranch Potato Salad